November – Resources

Resources for US Military Records Websites 565 links
Did Your Ancestor Serve in the Military?

Look for your ancestor in sources such as photographs, newspaper clippings or obituaries, family stories,  journals/diaries, letters, headstones, death records, local histories, or census records. Try to determine your ancestor’s birth year. 1840, 1890, 1910, and 1930 censuses all asked for information about war veterans. 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses included specific enumerations of personnel serving in military and naval installations, ships, and hospitals. Some state censuses also have veterans’ information. Also, look for service records, draft records, bounty land warrants, and pension records. The National Archives Records Administration (NARA) in Washington, D. C. holds the military records for the Revolutionary War to 1912. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri holds the military records for WW1 to the present.